D60/A15/S10 STRETFORD

From 1948 until 1974 Stretford came under the auspices of Lancashire County Fire Brigade, and was the Divisional Headquarters for 'D' Division.

The previous Fire Station was on the same site as the present building on Park Road, and was seen here c.1971

This picture of the old fire station was taken in GMC days.
[Copyright picture ~ K.F.Reid MBE and reproduced with permission.]

Dennis 'Big 6' Pump Escape ETC1 when allocated to the joint brigade.
Another picture of this appliance appears on the St. Annes Library page.
[Picture courtesy MF&RS and reproduced with permission.]

Leyland Metz Turntable Ladder ETC4 was new to Stretford & Urmston Fire Brigade in 1939.
[Copyright picture ~ Lancashire Evening Telegraph and reproduced with permission.]

Commer Water Tender OTE227 with Cuerden bodywork.
[NP collection ~ courtesy A Collier]

Emergency Tender VTJ929 was another vehicle with very smart Cuerden bodywork.
[Copyright picture ~ K. Howarth and reproduced with permission.]

Bedford Foam Tender 439GTC dating back to 1958.
(A colour picture of this appliance appears on the Eccles page.)
[Copyright picture ~ R.F. Bonner and reproduced with permission.]

Bedford TL 8PTB may have moved to Agecroft as a reserve when this picture was taken.
[Pictures courtesy MF&RS and reproduced with permission.]

Bedford J4s 3541TD and 3542TD both of which were carrying a wheeled escape.
[Copyright picture ~ R. Simpson and reproduced with permission.]

Bedford J4 3541TD was seen at Tudor Mill, Ashton-under-Lyne, 24 June 1970.
[Copyright picture ~ Satis and reproduced with permission.]

Bedford J4 3542TD was seen at Park Mill, Royton, 8 August 1970.
The appliance behind is KTE918F from Ramsbottom.
[Copyright picture ~ Satis and reproduced with permission.]

 Bedford KEL Water Tender RTE138C
[NP collection ~ courtesy A Collier]

Bedford RTE138C was seen leaving the station.
[Copyright picture ~ Satis and reproduced with permission.]

The above two pictures of RTE138C were taken at Gordon Mill, Chadderton, 1 August 1968.
[Copyright picture ~ Satis and reproduced with permission.]

RTE138C again hard at work with Ashton T.L. BTB291E at Tudor Mill, Ashton-under-Lyne, 24 June 1970.
[Copyright picture ~ Satis and reproduced with permission.]

Bedford RTE138C was beleived to be the only one of the batch repainted into 'Rocket Red' as seen here in 1973.
[Copyright pictures ~ K. Howarth and reproduced with permission.]

Turntable Ladder BTB292E was seen in the yard of the old fire station.
[Copyright picture ~ Satis and reproduced with permission.]

Based at Eccles in both Lancashire and GMC days, Bedford ET actually began life at Stretford.
[Another picture of this appliance appears on the Eccles page.]
[NP collection ~ courtesy A Collier]

One of the very early Ford D1014s, NTJ62K first entered service with Lancashire County.
[NP collection ~ courtesy A Collier]

ERF HPV PBA861R, one of many aerial appliances allocated here over the years.
[NP collection ~ courtesy A Collier]

Ford D1617 URJ795S was one of the second generation of Fords based here.
[Copyright picture ~ the late Alan Gartside and reproduced with permission.]

Dennis RS TNF161X was one of the rarer Angloco bodied pumps
[Copyright picture ~ the late Alan Gartside and reproduced with permission.]

Stretford's 'other' Angloco bodied Dennis RS TNF165X in the station yard.
[Copyright picture ~ the late Alan Gartside and reproduced with permission.

HPV BVM543Y was one of two Shelvoke & Drewry models.
[Copyright picture ~ the late Alan Gartside and reproduced with permission.]

HPV BVM543Y seen in its later livery.
[Copyright picture ~ K.F.Reid MBE and reproduced with permission.]

Dodge G13C D761NNB was seen in the station yard.
[Copyright picture ~ the late Alan Gartside and reproduced with permission.]

Dodge D762NNB was also seen in the station yard.
[Copyright picture ~ the late Alan Gartside and reproduced with permission.]

Dennis HPV H501DND was seen undergoing its tilt test.
[NP collection ~ courtesy A. Collier.]

Dennis F127 H501DND was seen this time in the station yard.
[Copyright picture ~ the late Alan Gartside and reproduced with permission.]

Leyland-Daf K208VVU was in use as a reserve appliance when seen at a 20 pump moorland fire in Belmont, 16 April 2003.

With the older form of striping, sister appliance K209VVU was seen on relief duties
after a 22 pump fire at Rex Mill, Middleton, 18 August 2000.

Volvo FL S305RVM was seen at a large fire in Harpurhey, 27 April 2006.

Volvo S306RVM was seen in Salford Quays, 25 February 2008.

Volvo FLL PF08SNN was seen as it arrived for relief duties at an incdent in Bryn, 19 May 2011.


STRETFORD HOME PAGE

GREATER MANCHESTER LIBRARY INDEX

INCIDENT LIBRARY