E73/E54/E39 ASHTON-UNDER-LYNE

The Fire Station on Hodgson Street was photographed just after the appliances had moved out, 14 November 2007.

"A" Watch ~ April 1951
Back Row: W. Mellor, B. Smith, S. Wood, H. Hartley, A. Oliver, T. Evans, F. Leech, G. Lowe, G. Daniels
Front Row: H. Short, W. Taylor, L/F W. Raybould , Sub.Off. H. Robert, Station Off. R Gilmour, Divisional Off. W. Hindley, L/F A. Blackburn,
R. Sisson, W Partington, J Wilde, J. Wild.
[From the John Dewar Collection and reproduced with permission.]

Two excellent period shots of Dennis F7 LTC787 passing under the trolley wires in Ashton, c1953.
[From the J. Wilde collection and reproduced with permission.]

Crews seen on parade outside the station before heading to Fulwood Barracks for the Brigade Inspection, 19 June 1953.
Note the shortened length of trousers required on such occasions!
[From the J. Wilde collection and reproduced with permission.]

Commer Hose Reel Tender OTJ856 is seen outside the Wellington Road Fire Station.
[Copyright the late J. Hain and reproduced with permission.]

New to Ashton in 1949, AEC Merryweather TL KTF847 was seen at Eccles in 1963.
[NP collection ~ courtesy A. Collier]

Bedford Turntable Ladder 9PTB was seen at the rear of the Wellington Road Station.
[NP collection ~ courtesy A Collier]

Bedford J4 275NTF, one of many such appliances which could be seen throughout Lancashire in the 1960s.
[NP collection ~ courtesy A Collier]

Bedford J4 277NTF was seen leaving the Wellington Road Fire Station, 2 July 1968.
[Copyright pictures ~ Satis UK and reproduced with permission.]

This picture of BTB291E was taken in Lancashire County days, at Tudor Mill, Ashton-under-Lyne, 24 June 1970.
Behind is AEC Turntable Ladder 1827NC from London Road, Manchester and Lancashire Bedford J4 3541TD from Stretford.
[Copyright picture ~ Satis UK and reproduced with permission.]

Bedford TL BTB291E was seen at Worsley workshops in GMC days.
[NP collection ~ courtesy A Collier]

Originally based here Bedford KH PTB136G was seen at the rear of Stretford Fire Station.
[NP collection ~ courtesy A Collier]

Both PTB137G and the Bedford KH above were inherited from Lancashire County in 1974.
[NP collection ~ courtesy A Collier]

HCB-Angus bodied Ford D1617 LTC390K seen at an incident in the town.
[Copyright picture ~ Keith Howarth and reproduced with permission.]

Ford D1617 OVU853R was part of the reserve fleet when this picture was taken.
[Copyright picture ~ A. Kent and reproduced with permission.]

Ford OVU860R on the other hand was allocated here when this picture was taken.
[Copyright picture ~ the late Alan Gartside and reproduced with permission.]

Also seen at Hodgson Street was URJ788S another HCB-Angus bodied Ford D1617.
[Copyright picture ~ the late Alan Gartside and reproduced with permission.]

Old and new together as BTB291E was replaced by Dodge Turntable Ladder LNF92Y
[NP collection ~ courtesy A Collier]

Another shot of LNF92V on its own.
[Copyright picture ~ the late Alan Gartside and reproduced with permission.]

Dodge TL LNF92V spent 11 years in reserve and was seen here in Bolton.
[Copyright picture ~ Aidan Anderson and reproduced with permission.]

For many years an aerial appliance was based here, as illustrated by BNB707Y
[NP collection ~ courtesy A Collier]

This picture of BNB707Y taken in the station yard, clearly shows the modified livery applied to this appliance.
[Copyright picture ~ the late Alan Gartside and reproduced with permission.]

Continuing a succession of varied appliances based here was Dodge G13C D769NNB
[Copyright picture ~ the late Alan Gartside and reproduced with permission.]

Dodge D770NNB was seen at an incident in Manchester City Centre in the late 80's.

Ashton's second pair of Renault-Dodges G107RBA & G108RBA were both seen in the station yard.
[Copyright picture ~ the late Alan Gartside and reproduced with permission.]

Renault K783ANC was seen here when new.
[Copyright picture ~ K. F. Reid MBE and reproduced with permission.]

Sister appliance K784ANC clearly shows the modified striping which was subsequently added to these vehicles.
[Copyright picture ~ A. Kent and reproduced with permission.]

Renault K784ANC was seen in use as a 'Fire Engine Limo' in Tyldesley, 2 November 2008.
[Copyright pictures ~ K. Howarth and reproduced with permission.]

Volvo X848KNA was seen leaving the old fire station on Hodgson Street for the last time to go standby at Mossley, 14 November 2007.

The 'other' Volvo, X849KNA was seen at a 15 pump incident in Hollinwood, 9 August 2001.
Also in shot, two wise men from distant lands , Messrs. S. Rowley & B. Lowe.

Volvo PF08OZB was seen by the fire station, 2 May 2013.
It moved to Marple in late 2013.

ASHTON-UNDER-LYNE HOME PAGE

GREATER MANCHESTER LIBRARY INDEX

INCIDENT LIBRARY