E77/E78/C32/E32 MIDDLETON/HEYWOOD

From 1948 Heywood was Lancashire County Fire Station - E78.   When the present station was built it replaced the former station in Heywood and station E77 in Middleton.  It then took the station number E77.

Heywood Fire Birgade c. 1890.
[Photo from the Stuart Wilkinson Collection and reproduced with permission.]

Leyland FT2 Pump Escape ATB230 dating back to 1935 subsequently passed to Lancashire where it remained unitl 1959.
[Photo from the Gary Chapman Collection and reproduced with permission.]

Leyland FT2 Pump Escape ATB230 again with crew at an unknown date.
[Picture courtesy MF&RS and reproduced with permission.]

Looking extremely smart, Karrier 406ATC was allocated to Middleton before moving to Agecroft and eventually Padiham.
This appliance was unusual in that the chassis was delivered in May 1956, with the bodywork only being added in January 1957.
[NP collection ~ courtesy A Collier]

Bedford J1 953VTB was delivered as a General Purpose Vehicle before conversion to High Expansion Foam Unit.
[Copyright picture ~ R. Simpson and reproduced with permission.]

Originally based at Chadderton. Emergency Tender 1393TF moved to Heywood in June 1971.
It was seen here in the yard at Agecroft Fire Station, 29 September 1973.
[Copyright picture ~ Satis and reproduced with permission.]

Busmar bodied Bedford TK ATB236A was seen at fire at Ensor Mill, Rochdale, 13 August 1969.
[Copyright picture ~ Satis and reproduced with permission.]

Bedford TK ATB236A was seen here at Worsley Workshops.
[NP collection ~ courtesy A. Collier]

Bedford TK ATB237A was seen on the forecourt of the 'new' fire station.
Sadly this machine was written off following a road traffic accident on 17 May 1970
which tragically resulted in the death of Fireman Bryn Jones 10 days later.
[Copyright picture ~ Keith Howarth and reproduced with permission.]

Ford Marksman WTD870H which replaced ATB237A above.
[Copyright picture ~ R. Simpson and reproduced with permission.]

Bedford ATB236A was originally allocated to E77 Middleton,
whilst sister appliance ATB237A was originally allocated to E78 Heywood.
When photographed, ATB236A had passed to GMC and was seen at London Road.
(Copyright Phil Ingham and reproduced by permission)

Fords OVU849R and URJ796S and Range Rover PTJ699M seen at the station in the late 1970s.
[Copyright picture ~ Stuart Wilkinson and reproduced with permission.]

Range Rover Light Rescue Vehicle PTJ699M
[Copyright picture ~ K. Reid and reproduced with permission.]

Ford D1617 OVU849R was again photographed in front of the station.
[Copyright picture ~ the late Alan Gartside and reproduced with permission.]

Ford URJ796S was alos seen on the station forecourt.
[Copyright picture ~ the late Alan Gartside and reproduced with permission.]

From the first batch of Dodges came G1313 NBU719W with the addition of the white wheels
[Copyright picture ~ the late Alan Gartside and reproduced with permission.]

Similar appliance NBU720W was also seen at the station but with the original red wheels.
[Copyright picture ~ the late Alan Gartside and reproduced with permission.]

Two Land Rovers were used as LRVs for use on the region's motorway network, hence the allocation of FVR55Y
[Copyright picture ~ Aidan Anderson and reproduced with permission.]

The second batch of Dodges were G13C models as illustrated by A652OJA
[Copyright picture ~ the late Alan Gartside and reproduced with permission.]

Dodge G13C A653OJA was seen on the station forecourt.
[Copyright picture ~ the late Alan Gartside and reproduced with permission.]

After two batches of Dodges, Dennis SS137s were allocated here as shown by E458WND
[Copyright picture ~ the late Alan Gartside and reproduced with permission.]

E460WND was the second SS137 allocated here in 1987.
[Copyright picture ~ the late Alan Gartside and reproduced with permission.]

Dennis DFS237 L612DDB.
[Copyright picture ~ Aidan Anderson and reproduced with permission.]

L613DDB

Another shot of the Dennis DFS237s clearly illustrating
the different striping applied to the rear of these vehicles
when photographed at a mill fire in Rochdale in 1999.

Volvo X844KNA was seen at a 5 pump fire on the border of Heywood and Bury, 17 April 2006.

Similar Volvo X845KNA was seen at an incident in Bury, 25 June 2006.

Volvo PN08UXA was seen at a large fire in Littleborough, 20 August 2013.

HEYWOOD HOME PAGE

GREATER MANCHESTER LIBRARY INDEX

INCIDENT LIBRARY