C56/C4/N4 WATERLOO/CROSBY
[also includes LITHERLAND]

Prior to the Local Government Reorganisation of 1974, Crosby Fire Station was part of Lancashire County Fire Brigade ~ station C56, although at the outset there had been two fire stations in the area, covering both Waterloo and Crosby.
From April 1st 1974 it became station C4 in Merseyside, but quite soon after was redesignated part of North Divison becoming station N4.

Great Crosby Manual Pump 1907.
[Picture courtesy MF&RS and reproduced with permission.]

Not exactly Crosby, but nearby Litherland Horse Drawn Hose Box, c.1909.
[Picture courtesy MF&RS and reproduced with permission.]

Great Crosby pump K114 in the.1920.
[Picture courtesy MF&RS and reproduced with permission.]

Leyland pump TD7991 also from Great Crosby in the 1920s.
[Picture courtesy MF&RS and reproduced with permission.]

The former station on Prince Street as seen in 2005.
[Picture courtesy MF&RS and reproduced with permission.]

AFS appliance NYR241 was seen in North Wales behind NYR350 from St. Helens, June 1965.
[Picture from the MFRS collection and reproduced with permission.]

Although the original picture is slightly damaged, it was still felt worthwhile
including Commer 45A Pump Escape with Cuerden bodywork PTJ837 originally allocated to Waterloo.
(NP collection ~ courtesy HR and restored by Brian Baxendale.)

Bedford J4 278NTF was possibly in the reserve fleet when this picture was taken.
[Picture courtesy of MF&RS and reproduced with permission.]

Just prior to the April 1974 local government reorganisation
Newton-le-Willows became station C64 in anticpation of the move into Merseyside.
Bedford J4 281NTF had previously been allocated to C56 Crosby and was in use as a reserve
when pictured in Haydock in early 1974.

This most welcome rear view of 281NTF was taken earlier than that above whilst the appliance was still at Crosby.
[Copyright picture ~ K. Howarth and reproduced with permission.]

Bedford GPL XTB554H was allocated to Crosby in June1970, but was frequently reallocated.  It was photographed at Stretford.
[NP collection ~ courtesy A Collier]

The first Ford at Crosby was Marksman WTD875H seen here in Merseyside ownership at a warehouse fire in Liverpool
[Copyright picture ~ P. Williams and reproduced with permission.]

Although seen here as a Maintenance Unit, Commer Walk-thru' DTJ954J was for some time the 'Dock E.T.'
It actually began life in Lancashire days as a G.P.V. at Widnes.
[Copyright picture ~ K. Howarth and reproduced with permission.]

Ford LTC391K was seen at Crosby in Lancashire County days.
[Picture courtesy MF&RS and reproduced with permission.]

Similar appliance LTC401K was seen in Crosby, 5 September 1972.
[Copyright picture ~ K. Howarth and reproduced with permission.]

A welcome rear view of Ford LTC41K at a large fire in Speke in 1974.
In front is Leyland HDJ244J which had been part of the St. Helens C.B. Fleet.
[Copyright picture ~ P. Williams and reproduced with permission.]

This line up shows 'C' Watch with all 3 Fords LTC391K, LTC401K and WTD875H in 1973.
[From the A D Price collection and reproduced with permission.]

From Bedfords, to Fords and then to Dennis R RLV38T
[Copyright picture ~ A. Kent and reproduced with permission.]

Dennis RS TFY822V was one of the first batch of such appliances purchased by Merseyside.
[Copyright photograph ~ D. Carville and reproduced with permission.]

Former Crosby Dennis SS135 G397EKA was seen in Liverpool Docks, 15 April 2007.
[Copyright picture ~ Keith Howarth and reproduced with permission.]

Dennis SS was seen at a large incident in Ainsdale, 18 July 2006.

Scania Y242XRN was well travelled having been at Upton and Eccleston before moving to Crosby.
It was operating out of the latter station when seen at the Royal Seaforth Dock, 1 March 2009.
[Copyright picture ~ K. Howarth and reproduced with permission.]

Scania DK57FKZ was seen 'over the water' following a major fire in Tranmere, 13 April 2010.

CROSBY HOME PAGE

MERSEYSIDE LIBRARY INDEX